Just as I thought - Linux is more interested in some notion of
"cleanliness" rather than real user problems! devfs has already been
coded and is available for zSeries users who need some relief. I've
been struggling with this idiotic dev node system for 2 years on up to
40 linux LPARS and I can tell you from hard experience that "niceness"
and what might happen in the future hasn't been the least bit of help
in dealing with several thousands devices.
Excuse the frankness but the linux solution is neither clean or easy to
use IMNSHO.

The net effect of this linux approach, in reality, is that all machines
should look like a PCs rather than Linux being flexible enough to
provide special solutions for special problems.

Enough said.