But it is ubiquitous, therefore I will use it and learn it.  Sure emacss is
available to be installed on almost every platform too, but I think it's
much more likely that you will find vi(m) installed on any given machine
you may happen to touch.  It wouldn't surprise me to find that vi(m) is
part of Mac OS X.

Scott

                    James Melin
                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]       To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    pin.mn.us>                cc:
                    Sent by: Linux on         Subject:     Re: Plagued by YAST 3270
problems
                    390 Port
                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    T.EDU>

                    10/31/02 01:54 PM
                    Please respond to
                    Linux on 390 Port

IMHO vi is the clearly among the most user hostile editors ever created.
VI. Virtually Impossible. Very Irritating. Vastly Infuriating.  Violently
Insolent.  Modern computers should use modern editors. (Ok. Ok, let the
crucifiction and stoning begin)

|         |           Adam Thornton    |
|         |           <athornton@sineno|
|         |           mine.net>        |
|         |           Sent by: Linux on|
|         |           390 Port         |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           IST.EDU>         |
|         |           10/31/2002 12:34 |
|         |           Linux on 390 Port|

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 11:32:35AM -0500, Scott Chapman wrote:
> Like why backspace
> doesn't work the way I expect it to in vi.  (I can only backspace over
data
> I just typed, not existing data.)

That's because there is no backspace in vi, and if you're using
backspace and it's working at all you're using some wussed-down
latter-day version of vi.  Use "h" for "move one character to the left."
But make sure you're out of insert mode first.

If you want to use these sissy modern-day crutches like "arrow keys"
then use emacs.

Heretic.

Adam