Post, Mark K writes:
> Hey, the card reader on my Linux/390 guests have always worked, particularly
> with Malcolm Beattie's Unit Record device driver.  Having VM helps with
> that, but David Boyes did verify its functionality with a piece of real UR
> hardware.

<plug>
And for those who weren't aware: the latest version of the driver,
along with a userland utility (complete with man page) are now
documented in Appendix A of the "... zSeries ... Large Scale Linux
Deployment" Redbook and available for download from the redbooks site:

        The UR device driver provides a Linux character device interface
        to an attached unit record device for a Linux guest. The UR
        utility provides a user interface to the UR device driver.

        Using the UR driver and utility, it is possible to exchange files
        between a Linux guest and a z/VM virtual machine (initiated
        within the Linux guest). The UR utility provides an interface
        for copying files between UR devices (typically the reader,
        punch, and printer defined by the virtual machine). It can
        handle any file block size, and record length, and will perform
        EBCDIC-to-ASCII conversion as required.

        The UR device driver and utility can be downloaded from the
        Internet as described in Appendix D,  Additional material  on
        page 279.

For the ur utility, the syntax is:

        ur copy [ -tbf ] [ infile | - ] [ outfile | - ]
        ur info devfile
        ur list
        ur add minor devno blksz reclen flags [ devname [ perm ] ]
        ur remove minor

with the last two lines providing dynamic device support.

The Redbook is available online (HTML and PDF) by going to
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/
and entering "SG246824" in the search box at the top.
The direct URL to the HTML online version is
        http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/SG246824.html
and the direct URL to the PDF version is
        http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/pubs/pdfs/redbooks/sg246824.pdf
</plug>

--Malcolm

--