At 15:03 10/31/2002 -0500, Greg Smith wrote:
I understand that much.... but why did Intel want you to use a top-down
stack ??
Because electrical engineers and computer designers stand on each others
shoulders, just like mathemeticians.  The DEC PDP-11 stack grew down (heck,
I think the -7 did too), and everyone who learned the Maynard, MA style of
design followed it.

I remember from my Pascal days that you could reference your
caller's local variables, so I guess it's easier to reference them in a
top-down stack.
That's certainly true, although GCC can't claim the same reason.  GCC goes
way back before the Intel platform became it's most common target, and the
early machines it ran on supported *signed* stack offsets!  So reaching
"down" was just as easy as "up".

Ross Patterson