Hello from Gregg C Levine
Right John. The I8080 in its original form ran at 800Khz, then when it
finally ran out, so to speak, they were up to about 4Mhz, but only in
small lots. The rest of what you are writing about, you are quite
correct.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

And
> > because dynamic memory structures needed to be managed by the
application
> > or at least the compiler runtime, and that took CPU cycles. With a
clock
> > speed of around 2 megahertz, and cycle times measured in
microseconds,
> > this mattered a lot.
>
> I know I'm being picky, but the 8080 wasn't that fast. Around 800 Khz
I think.

> > Incidentally, I noted in one other post a comment that there should
be
> > hardware protection to keep from executing instructions off the
stack.
> > Great idea. Starting with the 8086, Intel *had* this hardware
protection,
> > because the stack had its own memory segment that could be
physically
> > isolated from other segments. You had to explicitly set the code
segment
> > register to point into the stack segment if you wanted to execute
stack
> > data as code. The 8086 didn't have any security features to keep
malicious
> > code from doing this, but at least it didn't happen by accident.
Starting
> > with the 80286, there were actually security privilege levels that
kept
> > application programs from tinkering with segment registers -- as
long as
> > you were running in an operating system that supported this. DOS, of
> > course, didn't.
> >
> > Then came our modern age, the age of flat memory models. Segment
registers
> > are anachronistic. Toss them out. One simple, flat memory model is
the only
> > way to go.
>
> The segment registers still exist. Their use was expanded and they got
> renamed.
>
> On the 8086 family, segments were 64K. One the 80286 you can limit the
size of
> segments through the use of segment descriptors, and the registers
accessing
> them are segment selectors.
>
> With the advent of the 80386 with 32-bit offsets, software authors
said
> "That's heaps, well use single 4 Gbyte address spaces, one for code,
data and
> stack combined." A reason was performance.
>
> I'd have thought most of the performance benefits would be achieved
with a
> 32-bit address space for each, and you'd have much less trouble with
array
> overruns and such.
>

> > Hello simple memory management and portability. Bye-bye hardware
stack
> > protection.
> >
> > To be fair, I should mention that I generally *agree* with the flat
memory
> > model. It really goes a long way toward improving portability, since
there
> > are tons of hardware architectures that have no analogue to the
Intel