Abdullah (and others)

When you want to ask a question, please compose a new letter instead of using
the reply button.

The email client I use understands threading, and the email you sent has
headers saying that your question is part of the "zipl question" thread.

On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 15:36, you wrote:
> We are tryint to ftp aoracle data file (more than 2GB)
> from the Mainframe to the s390 linux partition (suse
> 7.2) and we get the error "file size limit excedded"
> while ftp'ing. we tried it both ways (put, get). When
> I issued the ulimit -a command it stated the file size
> is unlimited. Any idea what is wrong?

The maximum size of a file depends on
a) Your kernel - 2.4.x support files larger than 2 Gbytes, 2.2.x don't.
b) libc - glibc 2.2 supports files larger than 2 Gbytes, 2.1 doesn't.
c) Maybe, your filesystem (ext2, xfs etc).
d) Possibly, the actual program you use. Some explicitly check the file's size
in an effort to "avoid a future error."
e) Your architecture. I understand 64-bit machines have supported files larger
than 2 Gbytes for quite a while.

I run 2.4.x kernels, glibc 2.2.x on ext{2,3} filesystems and often have files
larger than 2 Gbytes.

If you think your probem may be d), then try an alternative program such as
scp.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield