On Tuesday 12 November 2002 11:58 am, Gregg C Levine wrote:
> Actually that was my reaction. The demonstration packet that they sent
> me, was the thing that did it. The terms, "kludge", and "clumsy", and a
> few others that were not polite, crossed my mined, at the time. And you
> are right about what Intel thought it was. They made up a chip for the
> 8086 hardware grouping that included a firmware kernel of the product.
> Funny, they also did the same for a different OS for the 8086. Both part
> numbers are long since retired, or even discontinued.

Oooh! Ooooh! Mister Kotter! I remember those!

The 80130 was a chip that contained an iRMX86 kernel in ROM plus some timer
and I/O support glue. The 80150 contained the core of CPM/86 in the ROM but
was otherwise the same as the 80130. They came in 40-pin DIPs if I recall.
I've still got the databooks around here somewhere, probably.

RMX was actually a pretty decent o.s., when used for its intended purposes.
The 80130 and 80150 never took off in the marketplace, largely because their
mask-programmed ROMs were obsolete too quickly and because EPROMs dropped in
price very rapidly at the same time. Also, both of these chips were quirky
from a hardware design standpoint; I forget the details, but I remember them
being difficult to design-in for one reason or another.

The summer I worked for Intel, I did a lot of sysgens of RMX86 for our big,
powerful servers. You know, those fully-loaded "minicomputer" chassis with
a whopping 768K of RAM and over 5 megabytes of hard disk on line.

And I've just realized how far this poor thread has drifted off-topic. I'm
willing to drop it if you are. :-)

Scott

Scott D. Courtney, Senior Engineer                     Sine Nomine Associates
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           http://www.sinenomine.net/