On Monday 02 December 2002 07:17 pm, you wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 13:29, you wrote:
> > For me, too. Personally I think we should persuade IBM to actually
> > assist the hobby computer market, by providing releases of, say, VM,
> > that have been removed from the normal sales channels. It would be
> > provided on a, pay for the distribution media, but don't bother us for
> > service, and support. But I might be leaving myself open to a complaint
> > from Jim Elliot for shooting my mouth, or writing talents off, without
> > thinking here, so don't quote me in context.
>
> I would be delighted to have access to the latest unsupported software. MVS
> 3.8 is a bit old for me to find attactive. I can run it, but so what? MVS
> 3.8 skills probably aren't very useful now, and the available compilers
> were obsolete when I used MVS 3.8 in a former life. If I use the PL/1 F
> compiler I suspect the code won't even compile with current PL/1 compilers
> - I recall an incompatibilty between PL/1-F and the optimising compiler
> back then.
>
> Grant access to early OS/390 (I'm guessing there are some now not
> supported), compilers for Pl/1 and COBOL, CICS and DB2 (plus fixes all
> round) in similar terms that apply to the download versions of DB2.
>
> Worried about "piracy?" One or more mods to ensure it will _only_ run on
> Hercules - I'm sure Jay would implement an appropriate diagnose or some
> such, or even just insist the model be 3168.
>
> Maybe, a self-help forum at news.software.ibm.com where IBM folk could help
> out a bit and get feedback.

Well, the DEC-now-Compaq-now-Hewlett Packard OpenVMS hobbyist outfit certainly
isn't making them lose their hair, and it's making them friends.  They even
release the source code on CD.

All that is needed is a commitment to supporting the hobbyists with
Out-of-Print documentation and some End-of-Support OSes, with perhaps a free
hobbyist membership in something like SHARE a la the free membership in
DECUS, minus the "Commercial" support side of things, and I have no doubt IBM
will find itself with more up-and-coming MF sys-admins etc than they thought
could exist.  Certainly more than Harry Singh considered possible in his
"Unix for MVS Programmers" book.

Just my $0.02.

Wesley Parish
--
Mau e ki, "He aha te mea nui?"
You ask, "What is the most important thing?"