Hi,

> Notice that VM shows that the triple of device numbers 963,964,965
> have been switched around to the order 964,965,963 in order for the
> first even number to become the CTL-READ device. The error message
> from your Linux guest was

> > qeth: Trying to use card with devnos 0x963/0x964/0x965
> >  qeth: received an IDX TERMINATE on irq 0x14/0x15 with cause code 0x08
> >  qeth: IDX_ACTIVATE on read channel irq 0x14: negative reply
> >  qeth: There were problems in hard-setting up the card.

> and it may be worth checking whether Linux has decided to switch
> around the device numbers in the same way, perhaps by checking in
> /proc/subchannels or /proc/chandev whether subchannel 0x14 really
> is the control read device. On the other hand, it may be simpler
> just to enforce the "even boundary" constraint, if only to avoid
> having those permuted device numbers appearing.

qeth tries to re-order the devices presented by chandev so that they match
the odd-even restriction
(just juggling the devices around until we have something reasonable).
Maybe we should adapt the
messages...

Btw.: Which oco-Level is this? (dmesg | grep Revis) We don't do the
reordering for HiperSockets in
recent levels since they seem to be fine for odd addresses.

> I guess that there may even be other differences since this time
> you're using a hipersockets device instead of a qdio one and it'll
> have a different portname and so on (which is case sensitive and so
> may be worth checking too: even if your OS/390 people see/quote it
> in upper case it's possible that the underlying portname could be
> lower case).

Afaik HiperSockets don't require a portname (not sure about GuestLan,
though) - but it shouldn't
hurt to specify one. Portnames are always upper case.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Regards
Cornelia Huck

Linux for zSeries Development
IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: ext. +49(0)7031/16-4837, int. *120-4837