On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:52:35 -0600, Steve Guthrie wrote:

>I'm sorry, but comparing an operating system as durable, scalable and
>reliable as MVS to an antenna stapled to a tree - yeesh!  When you buy a
>mainframe system, you buy security.  The software and its relationship with
>the hardware is what provides this security.  Are you seriously suggesting
>that an off-the-shelf Intel box is comparable, on any level?

I don't think he was. Honestly.
But, you buy the mainframe box, and you get IBM reliability. Buy my
software and you get my reliability. They're not implicitly connected :-)

>As far as writing GNU software for anything, write it for Linux in such as
>way as to make it portable.  The rest takes care of itself.

Applause! Applause!

/Per

regards,
Per Jessen, Zurich
http://www.enidan.com - home of the J1 serial console.

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.