I had to download Java from IBM to install on SuSE.  We have both 1.4 and
1.3 on different virtual servers.  1.4 caused problems with JBoss, so I
rolled 1.3 out to most of the servers, then somebody came up with a reason
for needing 1.4.

Scott Chaman
American Electric Power

                    Per Jessen
                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]       To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    rg>                   cc:
                    Sent by: Linux        Subject:     Re: IS Java installed
                    on 390 Port
                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    ARIST.EDU>

                    12/12/02 11:42
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to Per Jessen

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:28:07 -0500, Davis, Lawrence wrote:

>I was using YAST on our 31-bit SuSE system and looking to see if Java was
>installed.
>
>Where is Java? is it part of Apache?

No. I don't know if Java is provided by SuSE directly, but if not you
just go and get it from IBM:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/index.html
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/tested.html

To determine if java is installed and setup, just type 'java -version'.

>What Java is recommended for this system.

Probably 1.3.1, but 1.4 might be out for S390. I haven't checked.
I'm using 1.3.1 most places.

It is possible that websphere comes with its own Java VM, but I
don't know.

regards,
Per Jessen, Zurich
http://www.enidan.com - home of the J1 serial console.