I'm running SuSE Linux zSLES7 in a LPAR of a z900 machine with Kernel 2.4.17.
I have tried to define a network printer to the BSD spooling system
and as a newbie with no success.

The printer, I have, is an LEXMARK Optra S1855 and I have tried the following
definition in /etc/printcap
remote|lp1|BH0D lp:\
       :lp=:\
       :rm=PRT00001.huk-domain.de:\
       :rp=raw:\
       :sd=/var/spool/lpd/BH0D-lp:\
       :lf=/var/spool/lpd/BH0D-lp/log:\
       :af=/var/sppol/lpd/BH0D-lp/acct:\
       :ar:bk:mx#0:\
       :tr=:c1:sh:

The lpd daemon is up and running.
I put a job to the printer with
lpr -Premote /etc/fstab.

Doing a lpc status , I see the following:
remote:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        1 entry in spool area
        no daemon present
.

Also I did a PING to BH0D (the name of the Printer)
to see the full name of the printer it's PRT00001.huk-domain.de and
it's TCP/IP address.

It seems that something is missing.

The SuSE support says simply: "Define the remote printer with YAST".

Has anyone done similiar things or knows a HOWTO ?
Any suggestions appreciated.

N.B.
Or should I try CUPS or SAMBA.

Regards