Harald,

It was kind of hard to tell because of all the MIME quoting, but it looks as
though your first line is wrong.  There should not be a blank between "BH0D"
and "lp" on that line.  All names should be separated by the pipe character
"|".

Second, you really should consider listening to the SuSE support people when
they say "use YaST."  That tool is designed to perform tasks such as this,
and will likely make the job a lot easier.

I'm running SuSE Linux zSLES7 in a LPAR of a z900 machine with Kernel
2.4.17.
I have tried to define a network printer to the BSD spooling system
and as a newbie with no success.

The printer, I have, is an LEXMARK Optra S1855 and I have tried the
following
definition in /etc/printcap
remote|lp1|BH0D lp:\
       :lp=:\
       :rm=PRT00001.huk-domain.de:\
       :rp=raw:\
       :sd=/var/spool/lpd/BH0D-lp:\
       :lf=/var/spool/lpd/BH0D-lp/log:\
       :af=/var/sppol/lpd/BH0D-lp/acct:\
       :ar:bk:mx#0:\
       :tr=:c1:sh:

The lpd daemon is up and running.
I put a job to the printer with
lpr -Premote /etc/fstab.

Doing a lpc status , I see the following:
remote:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        1 entry in spool area
        no daemon present
.

Also I did a PING to BH0D (the name of the Printer)
to see the full name of the printer it's PRT00001.huk-domain.de and
it's TCP/IP address.

It seems that something is missing.

The SuSE support says simply: "Define the remote printer with YAST".

Has anyone done similiar things or knows a HOWTO ?
Any suggestions appreciated.

N.B.
Or should I try CUPS or SAMBA.

Regards