IBM
> mainframe.

There is one more possible permutation -- replace the 3174 with a channel
attached Linux system, ie in the case of  the requirement for a non-SNA
console terminal.  If so, there are a couple of variations. One is to buy a
2074.   This box provides a channel-attached equivalent to the 3174/3270
combination that can be used as a console and you can connect to it with a
tn3270 client.  This is not a cheap solution at > $20K list.

The second variation is when you are using VM to host other OSes that need a
3270 as a console.  If this is the case, find a copy of RXLDEV.  RXLDEV
allows you to use a virtual 3270 device for what the other OS would see as a
actual console, as well as allowing you to programatically control the 3270
from a useful language (ie using PROP and REXX). You then take the real 3174
away from the other OS and use that for your more important VM console...8-)

> At one time, I think that BlackBox had a device which would connect a real
> 3270 terminal to an ASCII host. Basically it made a 3270 terminal look
like
> a VT-100. But I don't see such a thing on their web site anymore.

There is also still the AEA feature for the 3174, which would at least
remove the requirement for the 3270 terminal (attach a serial device and
then you can use anything that can talk to a serial port and do VT100
emulation as the terminal instead of requiring a real 3270). A 7171 is also
an similar option, and can usually be acquired very cheaply.  Combine the
7171 or the AEA feature with an inexpensive serial terminal server or a old
Cisco 2509, and you can clear out a lot of console real estate and still
have the necessary functionality.

> Just to be sure that I understand. You want to attach a real 3270 "green
> screen" to your Linux/390 system, but without a 3174 control unit (or
> equivalent)? If that is correct, I think this is impossible.

The Linux-SNA code contains a 3270 terminal driver daemon, however you would
have to write a driver for the coax card to support the additional line
disciplines and a lot of the controller function -- there is also no channel
card driver. It would be very difficult to make this work, but not
impossible. It's probably not worth it -- the price of a 2074 is far less
than the amount of work that this would require.

-- db