On Thursday 16 January 2003 19:53, you wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently dl'ed Matt Zimmerman's Debian-3.0r1 image to try out under
> hercules.  My base system is RH 7.3, hercules is 2.16.5.  I initially had
> some trouble with the CTC definitions, but Matt put me right with that over
> on the Hercules-390 list.
>
> In order to use the ftp method for download and configuration, I had to
> create a non-empty /etc/resolv.conf with my ISP's DNS servers specified.

And did you use a local gateway that resides on a *nix machine? Possibly on an
appliance that supports NAT?

> After that, I proceeded to run the Debian configuration from a telnet
> login, and got the following error when I told the configuration to check
> for security updates:
>
> 0% [Connecting to 192.168.0.1 (198.168.0.1)]
> Err http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
>   Could not connect to 192.168.0.1:3128 (192.168.0.1), connection timed out

Looks like the connection swapped out protocols on you.

> Failed to fetch
> http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/binary-s390/Packag
> es Could not connect to 192.168.0.1:3128 (192.168.0.1), connection
> timed out

Well,  IANA defines 192.168.x.x as a non-routable Internet subnet so you need
to be going through a proxy or NAT gateway to get a connection to the world
(with that address anyway).  If there are available legal IP addresses I
would suggest that you use one or try a passive connection (easy enough to do
- use the PASV command with an ftp client).

> There were other errors following, all in the same pattern.  What do I need
> to do to correct this?  Please tell me what config files (from which
> system, base or Debian) you need to see to help me resolve this and I'll
> send them out.
>
> I ignored the timeout errors and continued the configuration process.  Then
> I used tasksel to select a C/C++ development environment, plus tcl and TeX.
> After everything downloaded, configuration proceeded with only a few
> hitches. I got these errors during configuration:

>  cxref
>  xemacs21-support
>  xemacs21-bin
> Some errors occurred while unpacking. I'm going to configure the
> packages that were installed. This may result in duplicate errors
> or errors caused by missing dependencies. This is OK, only the errors
> above this message are important. Please fix them and run [I]nstall again
> Press enter to continue.

These look like the OS reporting that it failed to install certain deb
packages. I think the greater problem in the connection failing - solve it
and the rest will likely work.

> I didn't see any other errors during configuration, but I wasn't looking at
> it the entire 6 hours.  Where do I look up what these errors were so they
> can be corrected?
>
> TIA for any help, info, RTFM, etc. you can provide.
>
> Peter

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Steve