From: Daniel Casey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 7:28 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Down time

I think it's partly due to hardware.  S/390 hardware is very
reliable/stable.  I think it's partly due to software.  In the "PC" arena,
and by PC I mean Windows/Intel, software seems to be released before it
should without the proper testing.  My experience
with S/390 has been that because such critical applications are running on
the Mainframe, having an outage is not an option,
therefore extensive testing is done.

The attitude is a little different.  Mainframe'ers seem to be more thorough
in their work.  I think the attitude among some, not all,
in the PC arena is that if all else fails, just do a CTRL+ALT+DEL.  There
are "acceptable" risks.  Incomplete testing, etc.

>From what little I understand about the architecture of Windows compared to
other platforms is that Windows does a poor job of
memory and process management, causing a lot of the headaches.  Not
necessarily Blue Screens...don't really see too many
of those any more, but I hear problems of applications with "memory leaks"
and applications, once in memory, will walk on other
applications' address space...bad, very bad.

Now, my experience with Linux on Intel has been quite favorable.  Once all
the proper drivers for the particular hardware has
been properly configured, it will run like a champ for months if not years
before a reboot...er, I mean IPL.

|         |           "Abruzzese, Pat" |
|         |           <Pabruzzese@Thomc|
|         |           omp.com>         |
|         |           Sent by: Linux on|
|         |           390 Port         |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           IST.EDU>         |
|         |           02/03/2003 09:12 |
|         |           Linux on 390 Port|

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                                          |
  |       cc:
                                                          |
  |       Subject:  Down time

I know this is off the board but I would like to know why is the
"mainframe's" down time limited when the "client/servers"
seem to going down whenever. In the middle of the morning, afternoon or
night unscheduled. My VM/ESA 2.4.0 was IPL'ed 1/09/2002 and have been up
since. I will take it down this Sunday to put Z/VM 4.3.0 in service. Why
are
there two sets of standards???

vr,

P. Abruzzese