I would also add, that in the S/390 hardware environment,
independant of the software that is running, there are many
fault tolerant features built-in.  For example CPU or memory
can physically fail, be swapped out with redundant memory
or CPU, without the application ever noticing.  *THAT* in my
opinion is what makes a mainframe a mainframe
regardless of which operating system is running on it, although
software stability does play a very important part as well.

Linux on other platforms will still fail if a CPU or memory chip
fails, causing an outage.  There are many other features of
the s/390(now z/Series) hardware that the other platforms
still have not gotten yet, but are getting closer, like dynamic
partitioning, shared memory and CPU amongst virtual servers,
and probably more notible, is the concurrent hardware
maintenance for almost 90% of all hardware changes.

There is alot more marketing puke that others can add I'm sure

Dave

Dave Jousma
Lead Systems Administrator - Information Technology
Spartan Stores, Inc.
PO Box 8700
Grand Rapids, MI 49518
(616) 878-2883