That doesn't mean the volatile stuff isn't on a ramdisk.  The Linux Router Project
uses compressed packages on a floppy that it unpacks into a ramdisk root directory.  A
combination of that plus
static directories on CD does the same thing.  The "save" function just repacks the
directory onto the floppy.