http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7942

Interesting article and a useful argument - most cost of ownership comparisons look at
purchase and support.  I don't think I've seen one cater for future upgrades.
Basically this
is a Mickeysofter admitting that a PC upgrade costs around $2000 in lost productivity.
Personally I think that's a bit low.

"An 'average' end user migration takes between three days
 and six months and end users don't trust data migration
 products until they see them. Emails and contacts are hard
 to find.

 Microsoft reckons PC growth is being slowed by the "hurdles"
 of migration, and 40% or so feel that these problems are enough
 to delay buying a new PC. Plus migration costs between $100
 to $2,000 per PC."

Contrast that with moving Linux/390 (or any mainframe workload) to a new platform -
user comes
in on Monday morning and finds the system's a bit quicker than it was on Friday.

--
  Phil Payne
  http://www.isham-research.com