James,

I went through a similar thing with WebSphere.  Here's what I did:

1) Download and install on your desktop the Cygwin/XFree86 X-Server from
www.cygwin.com.

2) Launch Cygwin on your desktop and in the window type: cd /usr/X11R6/bin
&& startx

3) A few xterm sessions will start in another window; in one of them do:
        ps -a
      <note the PID of task /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm>
      kill <PID>
      xhost +your-linux-hostname

4) On Linux do:
      export DISPLAY=ip.address.of.desktop:0
      startkde &      (this starts the Windows Manager KDE)
      cd /your.db2.install.directory
      ./install.sh &  (or whatever it's called)

The DB2 install window should appear in you Cygwin window.

Thanks,
Hank Calzaretta