On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:09:53 +0100, Phil Payne wrote:

>It could be very interesting indeed.

Quite.

>What happens if one member of the open source community takes IP from somewhere and
>places it
>into the open source project without informing the others?

Usually/typically some form of license will be given - even if "the giver" doesn't
have the
right to give it. If something is provided under no specific license, I think
questions need
to be asked.

>Classicly anyone using that IP - even without knowing it even WAS someone else's IP -
>could be
>pursued.  But how reasonable is it to expect everyone involved to follow an audit
>trail for
>every modification ever proposed?

Not reasonable at all. Which makes it reasonable that a contributor should always
provide
some sort a "license" for his/her contribution. A traceback.

>Making each contributor prove that their contributions were
>untrammeled would throttle the open source movement.

Yep. Therefore the proof/evidence/license/etc. needs to be presented "at the door".

regards,
Per Jessen, Zurich
http://www.enidan.com - home of the J1 serial console.