Trying to explain the question once again

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 05:59:03PM +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Short version of the question:
>
> How do do a "hard-reset" to a linux guest from within linux?
>
> Note that I don't mean to IPL the boot specific device: I need to re-run
> profile.exec from cms . I know I can do that using hcp.

(As if the user has ogged-off and re-logged-on)

> (I have an environment in which for some users those things are very
> different)

That is: "hcp i <device num>" is not the answer to my question.

I don't care if it would cause data inconsistencies, as I'm going to
"reformat" the linux partitions anyway.

Why would I want this:

The system in question can boot in one of two modes:
* setup mode: setup a system
* run mode: run a system that has already been setup.

I currently have some major problems running this. I currently use many
cludges. What I ccurrently really miss is a simple and robust way for a
system in "run mode" to go back to "setup mode". Such a "hard reset"
should have been the perfect solution.

> Any pointers to FMs (that answer this) would be appreciated.

Also: are there any *specific* details that might help?

Thanks in advance

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]