On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 10:22:40PM +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> In other words: the guests still have to be shut down for every software
> update in that method. Unlike what normally happens in an rpm -Uv .

Yes, although you certainly can apply several RPMS at once.  But
eventually you should reipl to release your local copy of /usr and get
the shared copy with the service applied.

There may be some way to coax the DASD driver into doing this on the
fly, but I bet you have to shut down to single-user anyway.

> rpms may have certain pre/post-[un]install script that deal with the data in
> /etc or in /var . Frankly they may want to do some strange thing with
> files in /usr , though I can't think of a specific example.

Well, if they want machine-specific files in /usr, then you can't be
using a shared-/usr setup in any event, can you?

/etc and /var can be updated normally with the method I described.  I
don't understand what you're envisioning.  I see there as being three
cases of service application:

1) everything lives in /usr.  Well, that's easy: you apply it to the
   template machine and, yes, force the guests (probably through an IPL)
   to get a copy of the new disk.
2) nothing lives in /usr.  Also trivial: apply service once per guest.
3) some stuff lives in /usr and some doesn't; that's when you need to do
   a bind-mount.

Adam