On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> Another issue:
>
> rpms may have certain pre/post-[un]install script that deal with the data in
> /etc or in /var . Frankly they may want to do some strange thing with
> files in /usr , though I can't think of a specific example.

symlinks are likely. I believe Debian has symlinks from /usr pointing to
/etc and from there back into /usr.

It uses this so that ssh is used in place of rsh if rsh isn't installed.
The so-called alternatives feature.

RH has adopted this for some packages, and presumably will add more over
time.

That aside, rpms do install into /etc and /var.

--

Cheers
John.