From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent:   Thursday, April 03, 2003 1:34 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Thoughts on DB2...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 14:34:18 -0500

All,

On our traditional mainframe system, we are running a z/800-001 that is
maxed out on CPU.  We are trying to figure out ways to relieve this
without buying another GP engine, and pay the big software costs.

What I'm wondering is would it be possible, and if so, how smart would
it be to try and move our DB2 workload to a Linux/390 server, and then
have all the "traditional" mainframe apps access it remotely?  Is this
a path worth looking at?

The reason I ask, is that and IFL bundled with z/VM is pretty cheap, and
and I could utilize hipersockets.

Waddya all think?

Dave

Dave Jousma
Lead Systems Administrator - Information Technology
Spartan Stores, Inc.
PO Box 8700
Grand Rapids, MI 49518
(616) 878-2883