I'm just finishing up a cost case for a similar environment, and the
numbers look very good if you can live with some of the technical
restrictions. As others have said, there are limits on the size of the
databases supported by UDB, however with the ability to run multiple
copies of UDB in the VM system, this is not necessarily a show-stopper
if you distribute individual tables to separate databases. The setup for
DRDA over TCP is pretty straightforward, and the use of hipersockets is
actually a very nice setup for this type of operation.

The cost savings is pretty dramatic -- in the case I'm working on,
reducing the size of a z/OS partion by 1 standard engine and enabling
similar workloads on 2 new IFLs reaps a cool $350K savings in the first
year (by the time you include the reduction in z/OS licensing and the
corresponding reduction in ISV prices for a smaller z/OS machine
footprint, you're talking about real money).

Is it technically perfect? Not yet. Still, $350K/yr will buy a lot of
remediation for the current problems.

-- db

David Boyes
Sine Nomine Associates