I tried your recommendations, but no change in symptom.

I noticed these messages on the console:

Initially a message that said:

dasd:  Registered successfully to major no 94

But later when I issue the dasdfmt, I see:

dasd:  No device registered as (94:0)

It IS ok to be using older RAMAC dasd right????
We are using  RAMAC  9392-B23's

THanks,

Dave Myers
Denver Solutions Group
Senior Systems Engineer
Office Phone:   (303) 996-7112
Cellular Phone: (303) 619-0782
Home Office:    (303) 948-0027
Fax:                  (303) 706.1713
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    Tzafrir Cohen

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]       To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    on.ac.il>             cc:

                    Sent by: Linux        Subject:     Re: SLES8 dasdfmt problem

                    on 390 Port

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    ARIST.EDU>

                    06/03/2003

                    10:20 PM

                    Please respond

                    to Linux on 390

                    Port

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 06:17:55PM -0600, Dave Myers wrote:
> Yes...I've done this SLES8 install several times...and I know about
> the dasd=nnnn then stopping
> and going to a 2nd session to dasdfmt the dasd.

Did you try:

0. verify dasd_mod , dasd_eckd_mod , dasd_fba_mod and dasd_diag_mod are
   not loaded:

    rmmod dasd_eckd_mod dasd_fba_mod dasd_diag_mod
    rmmod dasd_mod

1. load dasd_mod with the relevant dasd parameter , e.g:

     modprobe dasd_mod dasd=301,303,305

2. load the others:

      modprobe dasd_eckd_mod
      modprobe dasd_fba_mod
      modprobe dasd_diag_mod

and then look again at /proc/dasd/devices

> I've done that and I get the failure during dasdfmt.
>
> I re-issued the  insmod commands...that I'm pretty sure are being done
when
> you LOAD the dasd=nnnn anyways...

No. This is no longer the case with SLES 8's installer

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       +---------------------------+