On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Jim Sibley wrote:

> Alan wrote:
>
> "Its just that PC's are so cheap its
> easier to use several for a job _IFF_ you can solve
> the management
> problem."
>
> That _IFF_ is not only non-trivial technically, but
> also not not-trivial financially!
>
> You but one cheap PC or a hundred cheap PC's, you
> still have a bunch of cheap PC's.
>
> One of my favorite examples is that our company still
> has MS pervasively in the office and once a month we
> get a note from IT security to put on a patch because
> MS did it again. So it takes me 15 minutes, so what?
> Well, with 300,000 in the company, thats 75,000
> MANHOURS. IT security doesn't care - the manhours
> doesn't come out of its budget!

Here's a truly cheap PC, a Pentium II 233, bought at auction:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] summer]$ uptime
 11:28am  up 93 days, 18:38, 12 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.13, 0.09
 You have mail in /var/spool/mail/summer
[EMAIL PROTECTED] summer]$

All relevant fixes are applied.

Doesn't even have a UPS on it; I have one, waiting for the next power
failure. It's beginning to look like it will happen when we move house
next month.

--

Cheers
John.