On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 13:26, Carpenter, Mark wrote:
> Problem: In a shared disk environment, changes made by the owner (R/W) are
> not seen by R/O sharers in a timely fashion.  This is especially problematic
> when the Linux virtual machine has a sizable virtual memory size allowing it
> to have lots of buffercache.  In small memory Linux images, the changes are
> recognized fairly quickly, you can force by editing a sizeable file which
> will cause the buffercache pages to be re-used (stolen).

This is why I recommend having a pair of master images, updating them
one at a time, and manipulating directory entries so that the guests
always have a view of one or the other, and scheduling logoff/reipls so
that they pick up the changes in a controlled fashion.  It's reasonably
easy to script the directory change process.  However, it doesn't let
you do it on the fly and I don't think there's a good way to do that.
At least if there is I don't know about it.

Adam