If you have REXX on your Linux system then Leland's TXT2PDF is an
excellent tool for this purpose and it supports carriage control ;->

Lionel B. Dyck, Systems Software Lead
Kaiser Permanente Information Technology
25 N. Via Monte Ave
Walnut Creek, Ca 94598

Phone:   (925) 926-5332 (tie line 8/473-5332)
E-Mail:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sametime: (use Lotus Notes address)
AIM:        lbdyck

Tom Duerbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
08/11/2003 05:05 PM
Please respond to
Linux on 390 Port <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc

Subject
Re: PDF files

TXT2PDF is what we have been talking about over in the VSE side.

But, even the author states that it is limited. VSE2PDF does a much
better job and is fairly inexpensive (per the author of txt2pdf).

Since, I have Linux as an option, I wanted to explore the varients
under Linux.  I would think that even the program product from Adobe,
may be available for Linux, if not Linux/390.

I could jury-rig a lot of things.  Star Office may be able to save in
PDF format.  Bring up Word under Wine (would that be a winey word?) and
save in PDF format.  There is a package for Windows that allows you to
send keystrokes to applications, which would allow for some scripting.

But Linux must have a better way.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 08/11/03 03:54PM >>>
There is a Linux package called (surprisingly enough) 'txt2pdf' (it
might be
'text2pdf', it's been a while).  You should be able to search for it
with
Google.  It is Perl based and written by a couple of gentlemen from
Italy.
It seemed to work fairly well, but if you want support for mainframe
reports
(carriage control and such) you had to get the commercial version
(which
wasn't real expensive).

On Monday 11 August 2003 03:13 pm, you wrote:
> Back on the VSE Listserv, we have had a lot of discussions about
> generating PDF files under VSE.
>
> Now it is time to get educated about generating PDF files under
> Linux/390.
>
> Is there software available for such a process?
>
> I'm thinking about routing printouts to Linux and have a Regina
> process
> pick it up, do the PDF conversion and send it along its way.
Doable?

--
Rich Smrcina
Sr. Systems Engineer
rsmrcina at wi.rr.com
rsmrcina at dsgroup.com

Catch the WAVV!  Stay for Requirements and the Free for All!
Update your S/390 skills in 4 days for a very reasonable price.
WAVV 2004 in Chattanooga, TN
April 30-May 4, 2004
For details see http://www.wavv.org