On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 12:51, Jim Sibley wrote:
> Of course I insist on installing everything because my
> users are developers and they do ALL of the things
> that you describe, including using the zLinux KDE as a
> driver for an aix workstation and exploring and
> modifying the source code for the various products
> installed.

In which case, your grousing about the bloating size of L/390
distributions makes no sense.  If you need all the new stuff that's
going in to it, then you need more disk space.  You can't put ten pounds
of stuff in a five-pound sack.  It's up to you whether you use larger
devices, use LVM, use the zFCP driver, or subdivide your installation
into multiple smaller partitions.  Each has advantages and
disadvantages.  Myself, I'd say that if these are development, not
production, machines, then I'd just use bigger devices--a 3390-9 should
be plenty, and since it's not production, the reduction in disk I/O
throughput should be tolerable.

Adam