According to the Planning and Administration manual, if you're on an ESA machine, XA
and ESA are the same:

"For compatibility, VM/ESA continues to accept the designation XA to indicate 370-XA
architecture. However, whether the virtual machine is defined using the XA designation
or the ESA designation makes no difference when running VM/ESA. A virtual machine
defined as XA has the capabilities of an ESA virtual machine and is considered to be
an ESA virtual machine. Except for the CP QUERY SET command which will return machine
XA or machine ESA."

----
Robert P. Nix                            internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Mayo Clinic                                  phone: 507-284-0844
RO-CE-8-857                                page: 507-270-1182
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55905
----   "Codito, Ergo Sum"
"The three chief virtues of a programmer: Laziness, Impatience and Hubris."
    -- Larry Wall, author of Perl