On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 23:39, Jim Sibley wrote:

> So this seems to be release dependent and there IS AN
> EXPOSURE if you have a lower release that SLES8 SP3. I
> don't know what would happen with RedHat. I'll try
> that after I get an RHEL3 system running.

And if this is the case, the difference would be the release
that you used to format the disk... I would not expect the
Linux dasd driver of an upgraded SLES 8 SP3 to go out and fix
the layout of your existing disks.

> Bottom line still seems to be - don't run DDSR on your
> CDL formatted volumes!

And this is assuming the DDSR tooling looks at the same numbers
that you look at and stays out when the number says 100%.
On VM we don't have the equivalent of a VTOC and I recall that
the RVA tool would use the CP directory to find any tracks that
were not mapped by a mini disk definition. Very interesting if
you have some areas not covered by dummy mini disk extents.

A bit on topic: While there is no Linux version of such a tool
available, I think Dougie measured that a similar effect can be
achieved by filling the disk with some temporary dummy file that
can be compressed very good (nulls or blanks). The same should
work for SFS pools where a lot of file activity takes place.

Rob