Dave Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
12/23/2003 02:41 PM
Please respond to Linux on 390 Port

        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Os/390 (no MQ) to Linux LPAR (MQ) anyone?

Funny you should ask about this, Ranga; we just faced such a situation at
client of ours. They had to accept data transfers from other organizations
via MQ, but didn't want the expense of having the MQ Series server
installed
on their z/OS system. Another consideration was that the z/OS system was
inside their firewall and they didn't want it opened up to the Internet.
Our
solution was as follows:
1) install Linux as a guest operating system under z/VM (this client
already
had z/VM installed in an LPAR). Of course, you could also install Linux
natively in an LPAR.
2) Install MQ Series for Linux on zSeries Version 5.3. (This is the
version
that also supports SSL security.)
3) Install and configure the Linux NFS server.
4) configure the NFS client on USS for z/OS and mount a Linux directory
from
the USS nFS client so that it can be read
5) when data arrives from an external site via MQ, it's placed in the
directory that is accessible by the z/OS (USS) NFS client.
6) when a new file arrives, the z/OS NFS client can transfer it, via in
this
case hypersockets, to the z/OS side for further processing.
Since Linux can do hipersockets what add-on value is provided by the
OS/390 NFS client, unless it also has access to native OS/390 file system.
Can we perhaps define a pipe from OS/390 to Linux LPAR?
No need for MQ on the z/OS side at all, and the NFS file transfer can be
automated by a number of means.

Hope this helps.

Dave Jones
Sine Nomine Associates