Just to add to this discussion - we've had several customers
do exactly this, avoid MQ-series and other middle-ware products
simply using Systems/C (and Systems/C++) to write some quick
TCP/IP client/server programs on z/OS - talking directly to
the non-z/OS systems, using some of the freely available
communication libraries (e.g. "Boost".)    One of these was
a govt. agency in Australia.... so, it really works :-)

Although Linux is "free" - the total cost of Systems/C++
still is *much* less than a typical Linux installation because
of the additional cost for VM, Linux admin, etc...  (I'm
assuming someone familiar with C and/or C++ is already on-staff.)
Even if you do your own programming.

My point is that it's sometimes not necessary to go to the
trouble of installing a Linux IFL or a new VM machine or some
expensive middle-ware just to communicate data.  Sometimes, the
more straight-forward solution will work just fine.

We can forward references if anyone is interested.

        - Dave Rivers -

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                        Work: (919) 676-0847
Get your mainframe programming tools at http://www.dignus.com