James Melin wrote:

I have one guest with 1.3 GB real (for Webspher ND) and it tends to page
about 90-113 KB when doing a large application deploy but still indicating
150-200 MB free and 500 MB of buffers. I've heard the less is more
approach, but has anyone got Websphere Network Deployment running on Linux?

Your numbers are confusing. You mean the virtual machine size is 1.3 GB,
or is it even bigger and do you find 1.3 GB on average resident? If your
VM system is unable to keep enough of the virtual machine in, then you
should make it smaller. When your VM system is larger than 2 GB and you
have more of these Linux virtual machines, then contention under the 2
GB bar may cause the paging. The 500 MB excess memory in WebSphere makes
that likely.  Does VM have expanded storage for paging?  That should
help you overcome some of the contention under the bar. What performance
monitor do you have?

How about mini disk cache. Contrasting what others may recommend, I'd be
interested to see what happens when you enable MDC in storage (at least
for  the disks that WebSphere has) after you reduce the virtual machine
with 500 MB. And disable MDC in expanded by setting it to max 0M.

Rob