Alas, no. No expanded. Management approved the trial of VM etc 3 days AFTER
our IPL in which we could have created some expanded stor for that LPAR.

At the end of may on our next 2-month maintenance window, we are going to
be able to move VM to the z-900 under 2 IFL's (trial hardware provided by
IBM for our POC) and depending, put 2.5-3 GB of memory in the VM LPAR. Now,
I was thinking that we should allocate (assuming we get the 3 gb) 2,5 GB
real and 500 meg expanded.  If it's just the 2.5, we would want to go with
2 GB real and 500 meg expanded, from what I've been able to gather.

As to the numbers being confusing, I think I am mixing my terminology. Let
me clarify.

Current environment has 2 GB central, 0 expanded for VM (again, because the
decision was made after our last maint window or we would have moved some
memory to expanded). The VM guest in question  actually did NOT have 1.3 GB
real, as I was told, but in fact 768 MB. The VM guy (who has about 2 weeks
worth of experience with VM now) had the 1.3 GB on a diff guest.
The Linux Guest being used for WebSphere also has a 843 MB physical disk
swap volume. It is the Linux guest that is writing pages to the swap
volume, not VM.  Our VM is not paging hardly at all, except a smidgin at
guest IPL. Then it gives it back.

the current show of /proc/meminfo indicates no swapping going on (I IPL'ed
the guest Friday before I left) but that's because no testing is going on.
Previously, I've seen SwapCached go to 13300.
When its doing that, free memory is dropping to around 47000 or so.

Anyway, I'd like to see the amount of memory being used for buffers
reduced, since this system doesn't have much except the Java code and the
WebSphere configuration/deployment stuff being accessed from local disk.
All of the data for the applications is sitting on DB2 being accessed by
the DB2 Connect Linux Client.

itasca:/proc/sys # cat /proc/meminfo
        total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
Mem:  792133632 789549056  2584576        0 50958336 33734656
Swap: 884629504        0 884629504
MemTotal:       773568 kB
MemFree:          2524 kB
MemShared:           0 kB
Buffers:         49764 kB
Cached:          32944 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:          26420 kB
Inactive:        56344 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:       773568 kB
LowFree:          2524 kB
SwapTotal:      863896 kB
SwapFree:       863896 kB
BigFree:             0 kB
itasca:/proc/sys #

             Rob van der Heij
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
             Sent by: Linux on                                          To
             390 Port                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          cc
             IST.EDU>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Linux and buffers and memory
             04/23/2004 04:17          allocation
             PM

             Please respond to
             Linux on 390 Port
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 IST.EDU>

James Melin wrote:

>I have one guest with 1.3 GB real (for Webspher ND) and it tends to page
>about 90-113 KB when doing a large application deploy but still indicating
>150-200 MB free and 500 MB of buffers. I've heard the less is more
>approach, but has anyone got Websphere Network Deployment running on
Linux?

Your numbers are confusing. You mean the virtual machine size is 1.3 GB,
or is it even bigger and do you find 1.3 GB on average resident? If your
VM system is unable to keep enough of the virtual machine in, then you
should make it smaller. When your VM system is larger than 2 GB and you
have more of these Linux virtual machines, then contention under the 2
GB bar may cause the paging. The 500 MB excess memory in WebSphere makes
that likely.  Does VM have expanded storage for paging?  That should
help you overcome some of the contention under the bar. What performance
monitor do you have?

How about mini disk cache. Contrasting what others may recommend, I'd be
interested to see what happens when you enable MDC in storage (at least
for  the disks that WebSphere has) after you reduce the virtual machine
with 500 MB. And disable MDC in expanded by setting it to max 0M.

Rob