Hi All,

Since some months we are running SuSe Linux Guests under z/VM. For the
initial installations I used IBM's redpaper written by Simon Williams
about building SLES8 systems under z/VM. This initial installation  was
not very carefull with DASD space, it took about 2 3390-III volumes. So a
lot of space will be wasted by programs which will never be used because
the server only acts as a websever or a ftp server!

The time has come we want to grow with our number of Linux Guests but we
don't want to install every guest on 2 3390 volumes. I tried to install
SLES8_64b on different smaller minidisks but was not very successfull in
it.

When I tried to install a minimum selection of packages in one partition
(minidisk) of 1100 cylinders it works.
/       1100 cylinders

When I tried to install the same selection of packages in different
partitions (minidisks) the installation fails. I took more space because
there are 3 more filesystems I thought!
/       300 cylinders
/usr    600 cylinders
/var    300 cylinders
/home   100 cylinders

Does anyone can give me advise in:      1.) partitioning (which
mountpoints on different minidisks and with which filesystem?)
                                        2.) a minimum selection of
software packages with SLES8 ( for e.g. a web- or FTP server?)

Kind Regards,

Arjen Neij

Systeem Programmeur
KAS BANK
dept. 2.1.613 (SP)
P.O. Box 24001
1000 DB Amsterdam

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Disclaimer

The information contained in this message is intended only for the person or entity to
whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privacy sensitive
information. If you are not the addressee of this message, you may not use, distribute
or disclose this information in any way. If you have received this message mistakenly,
please notify us immediately and destroy this message forthwith. KAS BANK N.V. does
not guarantee that the information contained in this message will be correctly or
entirely received by the recipient.