Samba 2.2.8a in our SLES 8 SP3 systems has a bad bug.  Samba keeps running out of
control and eating up CPU, meanwhile, customers access to the samba shares dies.  When
it happens, there appears to be waaaay too many samba processes spawned, yet only one
of them is going bezerk according to "top".  I've had level 3 samba logging turned on,
but I'm not capturing anything that I can identify as the cause.  I see some oplock
messages, but those come in during good & bad times.  The other thing I notice is
there is typically a file or directory not found error in the log, too, prior to the
bad behavior, although I don't see how that could be a cause.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this?

"Nature and nature's laws lay hid in night:
God said, 'Let Newton Be!' and all was light." - Alexander Pope

"It did not last; the Devil howling 'Ho!
Let Einstein Be!' restored the status quo."    - John Collings Squire

"God Rolled his dice, to Einstein's great dismay:
'Let Feynman Be!' and all was clear as day."   - Jagdish Mehra

Gordon W. Wolfe, Ph. D.
VM Technical Services, The Boeing Company