Everyone's access dies once memory is full, which doesn't take long in
64mRam/128mSwap.  The samba process running away is owned by root, while the users
samba processes have just quietly stopped working but still exist.  The samba
processes are outnumbering users in the extreme.  ~13 active users this morning and 67
samba processes were running.  Only two people had locked files.  The extra samba
processes are all owned by root.  I haven't done the strace because of our
charging/billing structure.

The file not found error appears every once in a while under normal conditions, but
there are several in a row before the madness begins.

We had experimented with a daily recycle of samba via cron in hopes of introducing
stability, but this did not help.  There is no pattern for when this is occuring time
wise, so we never know when it will hit.  It can go weeks without a problem, then 1 -
3 hits in two days.  Frustrating, to say the least.

"Nature and nature's laws lay hid in night:
God said, 'Let Newton Be!' and all was light." - Alexander Pope

"It did not last; the Devil howling 'Ho!
Let Einstein Be!' restored the status quo."    - John Collings Squire

"God Rolled his dice, to Einstein's great dismay:
'Let Feynman Be!' and all was clear as day."   - Jagdish Mehra

Gordon W. Wolfe, Ph. D.
VM Technical Services, The Boeing Company