On Thursday, 07/08/2004 at 04:42 EST, Richard Troth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> >    http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/rd/483/banzhaf.pdf
>
> Excellent article.
> Most complete description of SCSI IPL I have yet seen.
>
> The example of "OS specific load parameters" all the more strongly
> implies that SCPDATA should be used to carry PARM string.   So what is
> lacking in the z/VM environment is a connection between two commands.

It seems that Linux knows whether it's booting from SCSI or ECKD.  In the
former case, it can use the SCPDATA (which is up to 128 EBCDIC characters
that have been UTF-8 encoded by CP or LPAR), which Linux does.  In the
latter case, Linux can use PARMs (with the patch).

I don't see the imperative to change CP further.  What problem is solved
that cannot be solved more simply in Linux?

Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development