On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 09:25, Noll, Ralph wrote:
> 1. yes
> 2. what does shake it out mean???
>
> 3. the only thing I can think of is that when setting up debian
>         the z800 has a gig ethernet whereas the mp2003 just a regular
> eth
>         if this would even be an issue..

Yes, but it's a minor one.  On the z/Box with VM, you almost certainly
want to define a guest LAN and a virtual QDIO adapter for Hercules
(hmmm...to do that you will need the qeth drivers, which weren't yet
open source when Debian 3.0 was released.  If you do go this route,
contact me offlist and I'll send you the second initrd image I prepared
that sets up qeth).

On the MP3K, native, you'll be using an LCS adapter.

The good news is, there are only two, maybe three, files you need to
change.

One is /etc/network/interfaces, because your IP address and netmask and
so will change between the z800 and the MP.  One is
/etc/modutils/arch/s390: comment out the line "alias eth0 qeth" and
uncomment "alias eth0 lcs".  And then you might have to tweak
/etc/modutils/0chandev.chandev, although I'm not sure of this.

Adam