> > Well, the *idea* with the zAAP was that it wouldn't count. SAS is
> > probably an exception in being that bone-headed.
> >

> I didn't mean to imply that SAS intended to charge extra for a zAAP.
> Only that, as OEM vendors start using Java more on the mainframe, they
> may decide to charge for a zAAP just as they do for a general
> CP.

Given that that's usually the #1 complaint about z/OS on mainframes
(software cost), it'd be pretty dumb. But, as you say, that never stops
marketing people...8-)

> After
> all, the reason to charge more for a larger machine is that "you are
> getting more done" (or some such BS). So, if I write a system which is
> 20% (to grab a number) written in Java and I change by CPU power,
> wouldn't it make sense to charge 20% more if you have a zAAP?

Although if it doesn't change the model #, and you can't really detect
it, how would you know? AFAIK, IBM set out to make it deliberately hard
to find out if a zAAP is active. I'd think that trying to surcharge
based on zAAP presence would be pretty much suicidal.

-- db