From: Linux on 390 Port on behalf of Doug Griswold
Sent: Wed 8/18/2004 9:58 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: z800 performance

What kind of performance can I expect out of a z800 with one engine
dedicated to linux with 1 gig of ram?  I am very familiar with linux on
other architectures (mostly x86) and I know what x86, powerpc, and sparc
architectures are capable of but I have been unable to guestimate what 1
engine is capable of with a gig of ram.  I know this is an impossible
question because there is too many variables.  But lets say we have a
db2 database that is using 60 percent of a dual p4 x86, 4 gig/ram on a
high performance SAN and you move this to a z800 with 1 ifl engine and a
gig of ram and escon attached starage, what can I expect inperformance
increase/decrease.

Thanks