From: Vic Cross [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 9:44 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SLES9 installation problem - again

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 09:10:37AM +0200, ??? ??  ??? wrote:
> My system has an OSA Express 1000Base-T which is configured using these IOCP
> statements:
>          CHPID PATH=(CSS(0),02),SHARED,                                *
>                PARTITION=((LINTST,PROD,TEST),(=)),TYPE=OSE,            *
>                PCHID=141
>          CNTLUNIT CUNUMBR=1200,PATH=((CSS(0),02)),UNIT=OSA
>          IODEVICE ADDRESS=(1200,253),CUNUMBR=(1200),UNIT=OSA
>          IODEVICE ADDRESS=(12FE,1),CUNUMBR=(1200),UNIT=OSAD

Technically, your CNTLUNIT and IODEVICE are incorrect[1].  Device type OSA and OSAD
are for older OSAs like OSA-2.  Use OSE or OSD instead -- unless you *really* want
your OSA-Express to run in LCS mode, but I doubt that works.

> I went back to the main menu and chose option 2 (Ethernet OSA). (This
> worked in SLES8). I entered my first device address (1200) and waited. The message
> that came up said:
> Lcs: loading LCS driver ($ Revision: 1.72.2.4 $/$ Revision 1.15.2.2 $)
>
> And it's been like that for quite a while.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

If your card is really an OSA-Express, do not use Option 2.  It's loading the LCS
module (as you can see) which is not correct for OSA-Express.

> Suggestions I received:
> 1. Try option 3 - this did not work.

It should -- this might be your incorrect hardware definition causing a problem.

> 2. Issue the dmesg command to look for more information - How do I
> interrupt the configuration script so I can issue commands.

You can issue "^c" (without the quotes) to simulate a Ctrl-C, which should break you
out of the script and give you a prompt.

Hope this helps,
Vic Cross

[1] I say *technically* incorrect because I have a system where I have an OSA-Express
defined as OSA and it's okay.  However this is a z/OS system, and the device type
entries are only in the MVS definition not in the actual IOCDS.  Why is it defined
that way?  Long story.  :)

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to [EMAIL
PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit