>From Cameron Seader:
> I am getting an error when starting my hipersocket up.
>         SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid argument
> Why am i getting this error, shouldn't it take '65535' as a valid mtu
size?
> I never had this problem on SLES 8, did something change?
> I'm also noticeing that my mtu is being dropped to 57344 according to
ifconfig.
> why is it dropping down to this mtu size.
> Any thoughts, any ideas?

The largest Maximum Frame Size (not Maximum Transmission Unit) for
HiperSockets is 64K (and that is only if you have configured the chpid for
64K).  The largest MTU you can use with a 64K buffer is 56K because the
hardware interface reserves 8K for its own purposes.

I suspect you might (sometimes) get away with using a larger MTU size in
some cases:
(1) If nobody actually sent more than 56K in a single frame you would not
notice a problem.
(2) If you sent more than 56K but the device didn't need all of its work
area... no problem.

MTU 56K is the right limit for a 64K MFS buffer.

Dennis
Dennis Musselwhite ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) +1(607)429-3831
z/VM Development -- CP Network Simulation -- IBM Endicott NY