Somehow the user you are using is a class A user and the first/only one on the
system. As such VM has made your user the system operator and your console mode
defaults to CP - all commands go straight to CP and not to the operating system
within your virtual machine. You need to:

1. Logoff
2. Get the true operator logged on
3. Change the user's configuration to eliminate class A

If you really want this situation you can enter TERM MODE VM and CP will pass
the input to your virtual machine rather than intercepting them.

Neale