Gotta disagree -- "it depends" (as I've heard it said many times). I have
one machine under _very_ heavy interactive load. Going from z/900 to z/990
made all the difference in the world to it, in terms of performance as
well as stability (the z/VM Q3 issue I'd been experiencing disappeared).
Your mileage may vary.

--Jim--
James S. Tison
Senior Software Engineer
TPF Laboratory / Architecture
IBM Corporation
Meum cerebrum nocet

David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
29-11-04 08:35
Please respond to
Linux on 390 Port

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc

Subject
Re: Big Iron change

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 10:14:26AM +0100, Gianfranco Ciotti wrote:

> a little question: if I have some "Penguins" installed on z900 (z/VM
4.4) and
> I change the Big Iron with a z990, did I have any improvement if I
reinstall
> the linux machines?

If you use the same Linux distribution software, probably not enough
to merit the effort.

Some of the more recent shipments (SLES9 and Debian) do ship kernels
optimized for particular systems, but in my opinion, the increase in
speed from the optimized kernels is fairly minimal compared to the
sheer increaase in horsepower of moving from the z900 CPUs to the z990
CPUs.

-- db