From: Post, Mark K [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 7:53 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux Slowdown

Barton,

You're absolutely right.  Without data, all anyone can do is guess.  I
suspect the problem a lot of people are facing is that they don't (yet) have
any sort of budget for a lot of the things they're trying out.  I agree that
anyone that has enough money to bring z/VM in house, but doesn't get a
performance monitor to go along with it is just asking for trouble.  But,
some people don't yet have enough backing from management to do that.  Too
many people keep hearing that Linux is free (instead of Free), and they
don't understand why it gets so expensive.  Of course, doing things the
right way has never been cheap, so I always wonder why they're surprised.
But, Dilbert explains a lot of that, too.