I had a problem with smbmount of Win shares that had more than 400-500
files: ls and mc listed only the first 400-500 file names as if the
others didn't exist. My IBM Suse SLES8 support said its due to a known
bug in SMB on the Win-side, not a Linux bug. Suggested I use cifs
(common internet file system) which is replacing smb.  Cifs is already
built into winxp and uses same ports as smb.   Cifs solved my problem,
might solve yours.

Instead of smbmount's I do mount.cifs

mount.cifs command is the samba mount utility for the cifs filesystem,
the replacement for smbfs. SLES8 kernel supports cifs but doesn't have
the mount.cifs command yet. You don't need to run samba to use
mount.cifs.
On my SLES8, doing lsmod listed cifs as a loaded kernel module.

If you're interested in trying it:
Download the c source program file, mount.cifs.c, from
url http://us1.samba.org/samba/Linux_CIFS_client.html   the link called:
"Source for cifs mount utility on sambaweb"

Download the man page file, mount.cifs.8, from same url, the link
called:
"man page for mount utility"
Compile the c program with command: make mount.cifs
creating executable binary: mount.cifs

Copy executable mount.cifs to /usr/local/sbin/
And copy man page to /usr/local/man/man8/